Sign up for the Information Packed "Painting Contractors Perspective Newsletter" Today and Get Instant Access to the Powerful (NEW) Special Report: (A $97 Value)

"The 7 Biggest Mistakes Painting Contractors Make...
And How to Fix Them"

Name
Email
Important:  I will never share your contact information with anyone period AND you can unsubscribe anytime!

Painting Business How To Tips

Painting Business Tips, Tricks and strategies for running a successful painting business. Use and Profit from nearly two decades painting skills, business and consulting experience.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Why Do You Want To Own Your Own Painting Business?

I'll be perfectly honest with you, painting for a boss eight hours a day is a lot easier than owning your own business. Of course it is also extremely limiting in many ways...

For example as an employee you are limited to:

  • The amount of hours you can work
  • The amount of money you can make
  • The amount of vacation time
  • The amount of sick days
  • The lifestyle you can gain
  • The amount of freedom you can achieve
  • And much more
However, being an employee requires very little thinking... You get to start at a certain time and once the day ends you are free until the next workday.

Granted not everyone is cut out for painting business ownership. It takes work and consistent action to build a profitable business, but... The REWARDS are worth the effort!

So many painters jump into their own business because they 'know how to paint' but end up struggling because they don't understand much else.

If you are considering going into business for yourself, or have already made the transition and looking for a surefire way to be sure that your business will last 'long term' here is what we recommend.

Step 1. Sit down for a while and write down EVERYTHING that you want your business to be known for... create your own 'highest standards' list that you will work every day to live up to.

There you go, that's it, one step!

Basic, YES!

...but sometimes we need to be reminded to do the basics. In fact less than 90% of new painting business owners take the time to do this most important step.

You see, when YOU define and set your own highest standards and work every day to live up to them, it ensures that everyone you deal with will be satisfied with your effort.

When no one else can hold you to a higher standard than you set for yourself, you will ALWAYS have satisfied customers.

Here is a short list of things to consider when making your list and setting your standards:

  1. I will focus on customer service first and foremost (building long term relationships and life long customers)
  2. I will keep my word and show up on time... Every time
  3. I will always go the extra mile to help
  4. I will hire employees who not only have good skills but also good attitudes
  5. I will treat my employees fair and develop leaders
  6. I will sharpen my image and build my brand through low cost creative marketing
  7. I will give back to my community whenever possible
  8. I will create strong lasting relationships with other professional business owner in my area
  9. I will educate myself on new products and services that will enhance the customer experience
  10. I will read books on business growth and leadership in order to be prepaired to lead my growing organization
  11. I will take action every day to meet new people
  12. etc.
The idea here is to brainstorm the end result and begin living that way right now... See your business 3 years... 5 years... 10 years down the road.

See what you want your business to look like and begin acting 'As If' it were already who you are. Doing this will allow you to reach your goals much faster and with a lot less stress and worry. It's much easier to get somewhere when you know where you're going.

Leave a comment and let us know what you are doing on a daily basis to live up to your own highest standards. If you haven't taken the time to create your own list, DO IT NOW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home